Friday, February 24, 2012

The house is probably not on fire. (The echo was good!)

The short version:  Bee's heart looks good!  Thank you, Lord.  And thank you all for your prayers and good thoughts for our girl :)

The long version:  We had our fetal echocardiogram this morning.  The sonographer came in first and got a few measurements and/or made sure there was still a baby in there.  Then we met Dr. L the pediatric cardiologist.  As I'd heard from a variety of folks, he was a very nice guy.  He gave us the heads up that he and the sonographer were going to take a look at the heart and might be chatting a little between themselves, but that he wouldn't give any major proclamations until it was all over.  This was, I guess, to keep me from freaking out that he wasn't saying anything during the echo itself.  So instead I freaked out because I was watching a screen where I didn't know what was going on or what was supposed to be going on, and oh my gosh, is it supposed to look like that?? 

Dr. L put me out of my misery pretty quickly and let us know that he didn't see any problems with Bee's heart. Hallelujah.  I'll go ahead and give him the award for Mr. Realistic, because he spent a lot of time talking about the limitations of fetal echo's in general and how it's extra hard in this situation to get the views they normally want because of the position of Bee's heart (smushed to the right by stomach and bowel).  Basically, until she's born and they can do an echo directly on her, there are a few major problems that he could rule out (which he did), but also a lot that he couldn't rule out definitively.  Here's his analogy though, which I liked:  "When I left for work this morning, I know for a fact that my house wasn't on fire.  I also haven't gotten a panicked phone call from my wife saying the house is on fire.  Even though I can't see my house right now to be positive, I'm operating under the assumption that it is, in fact, not on fire."  Point being, don't worry that the metaphorical house (Bee's heart) is on fire (has issues that they couldn't pick up on ultrasound today).  So as far as I'm concerned, our baby has a perfect heart.  God is good.

We also had what can only be described as a weird interaction with the perinatologist.  (This was not our beloved Dr. Nuthalapaty.)  I'm calling him Dr. Sandwich because, as Jonathan put it, "It's like he was in the middle of eating a sandwich and somebody told him he needed to go talk to us real quick."  That's about how it felt.  Rushed and like he was on a completely different page than we were.  Said something about maybe delivering in Greenville instead of Charleston (...what?) and having one of the local pediatric surgeons do the hernia repair.  (Possibly inappropriate sidenote, but I'll say it anyway: The surgeon he mentioned will never be laying a hand or a scalpel on either of my children ever.  I work in the medical field. I hear stuff.)  We didn't learn anything new or helpful from Dr. Sandwich, and honestly I think we would've been happier if we hadn't seen him at all. 

Jonathan continues to remind me that despite the above weirdness, our appointment today was very positive.  He's right.  Bee's got a good heart!  Hooray!  We'll just hope for a better experience next time--that's in four weeks.

4 comments:

  1. I just started following your blog. I have an 8 month old girl that was born with CDH. It has been an incredible journey, filled with so many emotions, difficult times, disappointments, more answered prayers than I could count and some amazing victories. I will be praying for Bee and for your whole family. It is amazing what the Lord can do when you trust in Him. If you want to check out our journey you can go to this link http://eliseashope.shutterfly.com/

    God bless you and your family!
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    I am a CDH mama to a beautiful, healthy 3 year old survivor and I just wanted to offer my support! We were diagnosed at 29 weeks and I remember the feelings like yesterday. My Dakota decided to come 3 short weeks later at 32 weeks and 5 days so we dealt with that as well. She came home from the hospital at 2 months old and while we struggled with feeding her for a while, she is perfectly healthy now - just started preschool. I will be praying for your Bee =). Congratulations on the great news about her heart!
    Hugs,
    Jennifer
    Mom to Dakota 12-25-2008
    RCDH survivor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog through Lisa.. I will be praying for your sweet baby girl and your family. I am also a CDH mama to 18 month old survivor Finley - www.finleyanabelle.wordpress.com (and big sister Rowan-4 ) We were diagnosed at 20 weeks and she was in the NICU for 49 days. If there is one thing I have learned (and there are many) throughout our journey - it is the power of praying boldly and specifically. A few months ago, I went back through our blog and read through all our prayer requests and I was stunned at how many prayers were answered. And the ones God didn't answer exactly as we asked- he answered in another way. Lean heavily in Him, and thank him in advance for answering your prayers- because he will. May God give you the peace that transcends all understanding during these weeks of waiting.

    Love,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying, praying for you guys and following your story along too. We will be giving birth to our little girl Esther with CDH in April. I love your heart with the Lord and getting to read about all of us in our journey of faith and trust in the Lord. You can also follow us on rhondaandjasonholtrop.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete